In partnership with Australian Geographic, this voyage will explore the remote islands and atolls of Micronesia, tracking eastwards from Manila through the Philippines and the islands of Micronesia. Share in the spirit of local islanders and partake in centuries-old cultural traditions such as dancing, weaving and carving while visiting more recent historical artifacts from World War II. Share the experience with special guest Alasdair McGregor, who will impart decades of seafaring knowledge along the way.
Call on North Sibuyan Island, known for its thousands of years of isolation resulting in remarkable biodiversity within its virgin forests. Snorkel and dive to explore the famed ‘ghost fleet’ of over 50 World War II coral-encrusted shipwrecks in Chuuk Lagoon. Wander amongst the archaeological ruins of Nan Madol. Encounter rare wildlife with the opportunity to swim with countless harmless golden jellyfish at Sohoton Cove. Across the archipelago, learn about the Austronesian and Micronesian-speaking people, their seafaring culture and their unique way of life.
This is a fascinating and rarely visited part of the world, now accessible by expedition ship.
- Visit all four states of the Federated States of Micronesia including Yap, Chuuk, Pohnpei and Kosrae
- Explore North Sibuyan Island known for its Jurassic-like sceneries and remarkable biodiversity with virgin forests, waterfalls and caves
- Discover the seldom visited and remote Sohoton Cove with its limestone karst island hills and lakes of harmless golden jelly fish
- Learn about the unique stone currency and construction techniques of the Yapese people
- Explore famed archaeological site Nan Madol at Pohnpei, known as the ‘Venice of the Pacific’
- Meet the locals that call small remote atolls home and learn of their culture and way of life
- Visit the historic location at Limasawa Island where the first crucifix was raised, hence converting the Philippines into a Catholic country
- Snorkel and dive at almost every stop – from world famous lagoons to remote biosphere reserves
- Gain insight into natural history and history along the way with special guest Alasdair McGregor