This itinerary combines our classic 10-day Kimberley itinerary with a visit to the spectacular Rowley Shoals Marine Park and Ashmore Reef. Witness magnificent coastal vistas created by towering rock ridges, silent secluded gorges, abundant wildlife, and massive tidal movements. Expert guides interpret 40,000-year-old rock art, and retrace the history of Phillip Parker King who first charted this spectacular coastline 200 years ago. Board a Zodiac and touch the spray from the magnificent King George River and its towering 80-metre sandstone escarpments. Join an expert guide to learn about the history of the ancient Wandjina and Gwion Gwion rock paintings. Witness waterfalls cascading off Montgomery Reef as it rises out of the ocean on the ebbing tide, whilst discovering the reef’s diverse marine life. Finish off the voyage at a chain of coral atolls offering some of the best snorkelling and diving opportunities in the world. Their shallow lagoons are inhabited by myriad coral species and marine life, including giant potato cod, Maori wrasse, at least 233 species of coral and 688 species of fish – many of which are not found on other coral reefs.
- Experience cruising down scenic King George River getting up close to 80m tall sandstone cliffs
- Experience the thrill of riding the Horizontal Falls in inflatable Zodiac tender vessels
- Visit Indigenous rock art galleries and learn about ancient Wandjina and Gwion Gwion art
- Birdwatch at Ashmore Reef and look out for turtles at Adele Island
- Get up close to Montgomery Reef and discover the tidal reef’s diverse marine life
- Snorkel or dive the pristine and rarely visited Rowley Shoals Marine Park and Scott Reef, accompanied by our onboard Marine Biologist